Skip to main content

Magnify Him!

       Oftentimes, I have a particular word or phrase in the Scriptures that really sticks out to me. During the past two years, the word "Paraclete" and the phrase "it is finished" have been my favorites. Recently, however, the word "magnify" has been very special to me. As Christmas is approaching and many of my readers have been spending time studying The Magnificat, I was inspired to write about this lovely word.

       Psalm 34:3 "Oh, magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt His name together."[1] (Emphasis mine). The word used for "magnify" in the Hebrew is transliterated "gadal". Davidson defines the Piel verb form as, "to make great; to cause to grow; to make powerful". The Hebrew language has many definitions for "gadal", but this particular verse uses the definition that corresponds with the Greek word used in Luke 1:46.

       Luke 1:46 "And Mary said: My soul magnifies the Lord. . ." The Greek word is "megalunei", and Mounce defines it as, "to magnify, exalt, extol". Since it is present tense, it could literally be translated, "My soul is magnifying the Lord."

       What does it look like to "magnify the Lord", anyway? The Merriam Webster Dictionary defines "magnify" this way: "to praise highly; to increase the importance of; to cause to be held in greater esteem or respect."

       The greatest parallel I can think of is a man or woman praising their significant other. When two people are in love, they speak of each other in loving terms, not only in conversation with each other but to anyone who will listen. They will praise each other for their character, speak of the things their loved one has done for them or given them, and recount the loving words and terms of endearment. The most in love will not even tolerate another person speaking ill of their beloved. They believe that their beloved could do no wrong and that their love will never lessen.

       Every illustration breaks down, including this one. God can do no wrong; therefore, while the lover may at times be blind to the faults of their beloved one, any ill-speaking about God is a misunderstanding of His perfect character. However, the principle is still there. To magnify the Lord is to hold Him in high esteem and to think and speak of Him in such a way that others will come to hold Him in greater esteem and respect, as well!

       David and Mary magnified the Lord greatly; they each declared the Lord's character and works in exaltation and praise.

       David declared the redemption and protection that the Lord provides for those who fear and trust in Him: "I sought the LORD, and He heard me, and delivered me from all my fears. They looked to Him and were radiant, and their faces were not ashamed. . . Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who trusts in Him! Oh, fear the LORD, you His saints! There is no want to those who fear Him. . . The LORD is near to those who have a broken heart, and saves such as have a contrite spirit." (Psalm 34:3-4, 8-9, 18)

       Mary rejoiced in God her Savior, praising Him for His greatness and holiness and strength. She recognized her sinful state before the Lord, and magnified Him for blessing her by choosing her to bear His Son. Mary understood and recounted the sovereignty of God throughout the ages. She acknowledged the Lord's power and majesty.

       Many of the things for which David and Mary magnified the Lord have been tossed aside and forgotten by modern Christianity. While David praised God for His goodness and called upon others to trust and fear God, Christians today would blame God for their trials, despair of His goodness and strength, and curse His name in anger.

       As Mary rejoiced in God her Savior and stood before Him in humility, praising Him for His holiness and power, many believers in this century would forget about their sin and take the Savior's grace and mercy for granted. They would bring God down to their level, acknowledging His holiness and power only when it would benefit them in some way (for instance, calling Him "holy" when praying for justice against someone who did them wrong, or acknowledging His power when asking for healing.)


       How can believers today magnify the Lord? I would suggest that they could do so in the same ways that David and Mary did: praising the Lord for what He has done, in history and in their own lives, spiritually and practically. Declaring these things to others – fellow believers and unbelievers alike. Holding the Lord's name in high esteem in a culture where it is common even for Christians to use God's name as a curse word. Choosing to trust and thank the Lord during trials rather than becoming angry with Him. There are so many ways to magnify Him; these are only a few, and I would love to hear any other thoughts on how I personally could magnify the Lord!

       During this Christmas season, and indeed throughout our whole lives, may our hearts magnify God our Savior even as Mary magnified Him!





[1] All Scripture references are taken from the New King James Version.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken Salad Recipe

       For awhile now, I have considered sharing some of my recipes on my blog. I really enjoy cooking (and sometimes baking) without a recipe, and come up with some fancy dishes at times. I usually keep my recipes top-secret, and hardly ever even let my family in on all the ingredients I use. But I thought that some of my readers might enjoy trying my favorite recipes, so here you go! Top-secret (or, not so top-secret) recipe #1: Chicken salad.  *Disclaimer: the lighting in my kitchen is not at all wonderful, so the pictures are not going to be the most professional you have ever seen.        Start with 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast. (Any boneless chicken will do, but chicken breast meat is my personal favorite).  Cut the chicken up into 1-2" pieces, transfer it to a frying pan, and put the frying pan on the stove. Turn the heat to medium-high. Drizzle 1 Ts. olive oil over the chicken; add 1/4 tsp. each of thyme, rosemary and ginger, and one bay leaf. Saut

Discipleship - What is it?

       Discipleship is something that has been stressed a lot in my life during the past year or so. During my senior year in Bible School, I was an RA, and I was leading a one-on-one Bible Study on I John for counseling class. The responsibility of those two things, coupled with the enthusiasm my counseling teacher had for discipleship, instilled in me a passion for discipling others, and a desire to become a more fervent disciple of Christ.        Close to a year ago, I began a short study on my own to learn more about discipleship. I wanted to find the answer to the questions, "What is discipleship?"; "How did Jesus disciple others while He was on Earth?"; "What is required to disciple others?"; "How can we learn discipleship?"; and, "What methods can be used in discipling others?"        I plan to do a short blog series on discipleship, hopefully giving answers to these questions and giving my readers a desire to learn more about

Autumn Questionnaire

       Autumn is my absolute favorite time of year. I love the colors of the leaves, the rain showers, the crisp air that is perfect for walks and that prepares you for snow, the fall fashion, curling up in a blanket with a book and a hot drink, the days ending earlier, and almost everything else that comes with autumn! Though I don't care much for stink bugs or for the plethora of spiders in the house, I have to admit.         It is a lot of fun to find little ways to celebrate your favorite things, and one of the ways I like to celebrate is to find out what other people like about my favorite things! Therefore, I decided to write up a brief autumn-themed questionnaire. Questionnaires can be good ways to get to know people better, or to just sit down to take a break from the busy-ness of life and have some fun! You are welcome to print off this questionnaire for fall festivals, for something to do with your family and friends, or for whatever other reason you may have! I will be