Skip to main content

God, the Foundation of Love

       A blog series on First John is something that has been on my heart for months, and February seems like the perfect time to start it! For those who don't know, the Apostle John is one of my heroes, and the apostle that I most strive to imitate. Not only was he the author of the gospel that has been used the most to teach me about the Lord, but he was called "the disciple whom Jesus loved"[1] (John 21:20), and he was entrusted with the Revelation of Jesus Christ!
       The Gospel of John and the book of I John go together very well, and both have been used mightily by the Lord in my own life. I John in particular has taught me what love really is, in a world that demands a love that consists of lust and tolerance. My prayer is that the Lord might use this blog series to teach you more about His love and how to show His love to a world that so desperately needs it.
       Rather than studying I John verse by verse, as that would take a lot of time to get through in a blog series, my plan is to break I John into themes, emphasizing types of love, as that is the most prominent theme. The references will be scattered throughout the book, since each chapter is not particularly focused on one kind of love. You are encouraged to have a Bible (or Bible app) on hand to read verses that I don't type out!
     
       God, the Foundation of Love

       God is the very reason we know love; He is the One who demonstrated love to us that we might recognize it. He demonstrated His love first by making Himself known to us.

       I John 1:1-2 "The message which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have     seen with our eyes, which we have looked closely at with our eyes and which our hands have handled, concerning the word of life; and the life was made manifest, and we have seen and we are testifying and we are announcing to you the life everlasting, which very life was toward the Father and was made manifest to us." [Literal translation]
       In keeping with his introduction in the Gospel of John, the author opens up this letter with a reference to "the beginning". There are three beginnings: eternity, before the creation of the world (John 1:1), the beginning of time (Genesis 1:1), and the beginning which is mentioned here, which I believe is a reference to the incarnation of Christ and the beginning of the Christian Era.
       From the beginning of time, God has made a way for Mankind to know Him, but He has made the way especially clear since the incarnation of Christ. Jesus Christ coming to Earth was the ultimate demonstration of God's love for the world (John 3:16), and a fulfillment of the promises of God from eternity past.
      4:9a, 14 "In this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world. . . And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent the Son as Savior of the world."
     
       God demonstrated His love by dying for us.

       3:16a, 4:10 "By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us. . . In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation (satisfaction of God's wrath) for our sins."
       Do you see what is being said there? God has wrath; He is not only a God of love! But, His love for us is so deep and perfect that He Himself provided His Son to die for our sins, so that His wrath might be satisfied! In spite of our unloveliness and unbelief, God demonstrated His love by dying for us that we might know Him.

       God demonstrated His love for us by giving us life in Himself.

       4:9b ". . . God has sent His only Son into the world, that we might live through Him."
This verse can be paired with John 10:10, "The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly." [emphasis mine] This precious principle may also be found in Paul's epistle to the Colossians; "When Christ who is our life appears. . ." (Colossians 3:4a)
       Without this life, we are dead in trespasses and sins, living in darkness and selfishness, serving the devil rather than serving God (Ephesians 2:1-3). Through Christ, we may have an abundant life of peace with God and obedience to the Him.

       God demonstrated His love by calling us children of God.

       3:1 "See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are." [ESV] As children of God, we have the position of oldest son in the household of God. We are heirs with Christ, and we will inherit God Himself through Christ (Galatians 4:7). We have Spirit within us who calls out to God, "Abba Father!" (Galatians 4:6) God has given us "every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ" (Ephesians 1:3).*

God demonstrated His love by casting out our fear.

       4:17a "Fear is not in love, but perfect love is casting fear outside, since fear is having torment." [Literal translation] God's love is perfect, as has been made evident in the previous points. His love alone can take away fear of final judgment, for the death of His Son has removed judgment for those who believe in Him. He has given us the way to have a personal, intimate relationship with Himself, and those who have that close relationship with Him understand what it is to live without fear of retribution for sin.

Finally, God demonstrated His love by giving us eternal life.

       5:11-13 "And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God."
       The Greek verb tense for "have eternal life" here and in John 3:16 are present active indicative, which is translated, "continuously have eternal life." Eternal life is just that; eternal. From the moment it is given, it never ends. It is never lost, never taken away. The Apostle John made no mistake using that verb tense; there were certainly some believers even at that time who wondered if their salvation could be taken away. John's wording assured the believers then, as it may assure us today, that from the moment of salvation, we have eternal life, and that eternal life is continuous.                 What love God has shown us that not even our most terrible sins or the evil schemes of man; nothing will take away His love (Romans 8:35-39) or the promise of eternity with Him!

       John tells us that God is love (I John 4:8a, 16) and that He loved us before we could love (4:19). Only His love enables us to understand or give love; without these demonstrations of love we would be lost and without hope. Praise God for His everlasting love!


[1] Unless otherwise noted, Scripture references are taken from the New King James Version.
* The blessed truths about our position as children of God are so precious and so many that it would take another blog series to cover them all! I encourage you all to study this topic for yourselves! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken Salad Recipe

       For awhile now, I have considered sharing some of my recipes on my blog. I really enjoy cooking (and sometimes baking) without a recipe, and come up with some fancy dishes at times. I usually keep my recipes top-secret, and hardly ever even let my family in on all the ingredients I use. But I thought that some of my readers might enjoy trying my favorite recipes, so here you go! Top-secret (or, not so top-secret) recipe #1: Chicken salad.  *Disclaimer: the lighting in my kitchen is not at all wonderful, so the pictures are not going to be the most professional you have ever seen.        Start with 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast. (Any boneless chicken will do, but chicken breast meat is my personal favorite).  Cut the chicken up into 1-2" pieces, transfer it to a frying pan, and put the frying pan on the stove. Turn the heat to medium-high. Drizzle 1 Ts. olive oil over the chicken; add 1/4 tsp. each of thyme, rosemary and ginger, and one bay leaf. Saut

Discipleship - What is it?

       Discipleship is something that has been stressed a lot in my life during the past year or so. During my senior year in Bible School, I was an RA, and I was leading a one-on-one Bible Study on I John for counseling class. The responsibility of those two things, coupled with the enthusiasm my counseling teacher had for discipleship, instilled in me a passion for discipling others, and a desire to become a more fervent disciple of Christ.        Close to a year ago, I began a short study on my own to learn more about discipleship. I wanted to find the answer to the questions, "What is discipleship?"; "How did Jesus disciple others while He was on Earth?"; "What is required to disciple others?"; "How can we learn discipleship?"; and, "What methods can be used in discipling others?"        I plan to do a short blog series on discipleship, hopefully giving answers to these questions and giving my readers a desire to learn more about

Autumn Questionnaire

       Autumn is my absolute favorite time of year. I love the colors of the leaves, the rain showers, the crisp air that is perfect for walks and that prepares you for snow, the fall fashion, curling up in a blanket with a book and a hot drink, the days ending earlier, and almost everything else that comes with autumn! Though I don't care much for stink bugs or for the plethora of spiders in the house, I have to admit.         It is a lot of fun to find little ways to celebrate your favorite things, and one of the ways I like to celebrate is to find out what other people like about my favorite things! Therefore, I decided to write up a brief autumn-themed questionnaire. Questionnaires can be good ways to get to know people better, or to just sit down to take a break from the busy-ness of life and have some fun! You are welcome to print off this questionnaire for fall festivals, for something to do with your family and friends, or for whatever other reason you may have! I will be