Skip to main content

Echoes of Patriotism

       Sometime around the end of June, it is easy for me to start thinking about America and patriotism. Independence Day is one of my favorite holidays, and what isn't to love about it? Red, white, and blue (some of the best colors), fireworks, celebrations with family and friends, and oftentimes, delicious food. But amid the preparations for all of the fun and beauty that comes with this holiday, I remember that many of the original reasons for the celebration of July 4th have been set aside, abandoned in the minds and actions of the American people.
       This past Sunday, I was able to sing several "patriotic hymns" at a nursing home, and immediately afterward I attended the funeral of a World War II Veteran. I could not help but wonder what these older men and women think and feel during this time, as they watch the people of their beloved nation proverbially spit on all of their sacrifices, blood, hard work, and tears?
        Many of them have fought in literal battles. These were not Twitter or Facebook battles over whether or not we should say something that could offend someone; they were battles to fight for the freedom we have to say these things on social media without being put to death. Battles that claimed hundreds of thousands of lives, and changed the lives of all who survived. These brave men and women who lived through wars and fought those wars on the battlefield and on the homefront are now watching their nation willingly become the very things they were fighting against. Their nation's flag is being dishonored, and their service for their country is being discredited and called foolish. The younger generations are unthankful and unloving toward them.
       I mourn for our country, and for the children who live in our nation who will never be taught what a truly godly and beautiful – and even safe – place America once was. How can we be patriotic when it is called discriminatory to abide by the principles on which America was founded? Patriotism seems to be something that every person defines for themselves, but the basic meaning is to have love for one's country. Though true patriotism can be used for good, it should not be our primary concern. Rather, we should be concerned, and active, about doing what we can to bring godliness back into the hearts of the American people.
       When I think of biblical examples of patriotism, Israel immediately comes to mind. As God's Chosen People, the people of Israel oftentimes had even prideful love for their nation. However, there were some who truly loved Israel because of the love they had for God. In the Psalms, David spoke many times of the beauty of Zion, of the sorrow he had when the people were living sinfully or when enemies prospered over Israel, of God's presence in Judah, and His faithfulness to His people. One of the most well-known verses in the Psalms is Psalm 33:12, "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord, the people He has chosen as His own inheritance."[1] The people of Israel have been given the promise that God will be their God and that their land will be blessed forever; therefore, how could they not have "patriotism" or a love for their nation?
       However, as believers in Jesus Christ, and Gentiles, do we have a reason to be patriotic? I Peter 2:11 calls us "sojourners and pilgrims", and II Timothy 3:12 says that "all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution." How can we love our nation even though this world is not our home, and so many people around us persecute us for our beliefs?
        Peter does not leave us with the fact of our sojourning; he goes on to teach us how to live in this world as a result of that fact: ". . . abstain from fleshly lusts which war against the soul, having your conduct honorable among the Gentiles, that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may, by your good works which they observe, glorify God in the day of visitation. Therefore submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake. . . For this is the will of God, that by doing good you may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men – as free, yet not using liberty as a cloak for vice, but as bondservants of God. Honor all people. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the king." (I Peter 2:11b-17, emphasis mine.)
       Truly, if each one of us as Christians lived in obedience to those commands, we would be showing our love for our nation, whether that nation is America or France or Madagascar. But even more importantly, we would demonstrate our love for God, and the change He makes in the hearts of those who believe in and fear Him. It is only through love for God that we can truly love our nation or the people around us, and it is only through repentant hearts that the godlessness that is so prevalent in the world may be changed.
       Since this world is not our home, is it wrong to love the nation in which we live? Not if it is with godly love, and not if we are willing to leave that nation if we are led by God to do so. God gives rich blessings, and that includes certain national freedoms that we are allowed, or beautiful scenery, or whatever else we may love about our nation. But we must keep in proper perspective what our calling is as Christians, as well as how temporary our time is on Earth.


[1] All Scripture references are taken from the New King James Version.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken Salad Recipe

       For awhile now, I have considered sharing some of my recipes on my blog. I really enjoy cooking (and sometimes baking) without a recipe, and come up with some fancy dishes at times. I usually keep my recipes top-secret, and hardly ever even let my family in on all the ingredients I use. But I thought that some of my readers might enjoy trying my favorite recipes, so here you go! Top-secret (or, not so top-secret) recipe #1: Chicken salad.  *Disclaimer: the lighting in my kitchen is not at all wonderful, so the pictures are not going to be the most professional you have ever seen.        Start with 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast. (Any boneless chicken will do, but chicken breast meat is my personal favorite).  Cut the chicken up into 1-2" pieces, transfer it to a frying pan, and put the frying pan on the stove. Turn the heat to medium-high. Drizzle 1 Ts. olive oil over the chicken; add 1/4 tsp. each of thyme, rosemary and ginger, and one bay leaf. Saut

Discipleship - What is it?

       Discipleship is something that has been stressed a lot in my life during the past year or so. During my senior year in Bible School, I was an RA, and I was leading a one-on-one Bible Study on I John for counseling class. The responsibility of those two things, coupled with the enthusiasm my counseling teacher had for discipleship, instilled in me a passion for discipling others, and a desire to become a more fervent disciple of Christ.        Close to a year ago, I began a short study on my own to learn more about discipleship. I wanted to find the answer to the questions, "What is discipleship?"; "How did Jesus disciple others while He was on Earth?"; "What is required to disciple others?"; "How can we learn discipleship?"; and, "What methods can be used in discipling others?"        I plan to do a short blog series on discipleship, hopefully giving answers to these questions and giving my readers a desire to learn more about

Autumn Questionnaire

       Autumn is my absolute favorite time of year. I love the colors of the leaves, the rain showers, the crisp air that is perfect for walks and that prepares you for snow, the fall fashion, curling up in a blanket with a book and a hot drink, the days ending earlier, and almost everything else that comes with autumn! Though I don't care much for stink bugs or for the plethora of spiders in the house, I have to admit.         It is a lot of fun to find little ways to celebrate your favorite things, and one of the ways I like to celebrate is to find out what other people like about my favorite things! Therefore, I decided to write up a brief autumn-themed questionnaire. Questionnaires can be good ways to get to know people better, or to just sit down to take a break from the busy-ness of life and have some fun! You are welcome to print off this questionnaire for fall festivals, for something to do with your family and friends, or for whatever other reason you may have! I will be