Skip to main content

Rejection Finds a Hope

       Rejection. A painful reality that I would guess everyone goes through at least once during their lifetime. It can come from almost anyone, sometimes even those who we love the most and would do anything for. It can be senseless and sudden, seemingly coming out of nowhere.
       Any kind of rejection — romantic, rejection by a family member or friend, or even rejection by a company you applied to — can leave you with a slew of emotions. Anger, bitterness, loneliness, sorrow, a feeling of worthlessness, and sometimes unexplainable emotions. It can cause you to wonder what you did wrong, what you could have done to keep the rejection from happening. For some, it may even cause despair and the desire to die.
       What can be done to stop rejection? Unfortunately, probably nothing. But there is hope and comfort to be found even in the midst of the darkest, most painful moments that come from being rejected.
       Our foundational hope is that we have a Savior who is intimately familiar with rejection. The prophet Isaiah wrote, "He is despised and rejected by men, a Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief. And we hid, as it were, our faces from Him; He was despised, and we did not esteem Him." (Isaiah 53:3[1])
        In His moments of the most excruciating pain, even as He gave Himself as the sacrifice for the sins of mankind, the Savior was despised and rejected. Even the Father turned His face away as Jesus hung on the cross (Matthew 27:46). Our Lord Jesus knows what it is to be rejected by those we love, for He perfectly loves all who rejected Him.
       We have the hope, the confident expectation that our Savior will never reject us. The Apostle Paul gives us this hope: "For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 8:38-39) Even if the whole world rejects us, the Lord will continue to love us with permanent, complete love.
       When we are rejected, we have someone to run to. The Psalms are full of comfort, and of metaphors of God being our refuge and strength (Psalm 46:1), our rock and our hope (Psalm 42:9, 11), our protector and comfort (Psalm 36:7), and much more. He knows the things we struggle with as a result of rejection; He knows which of our reactions are sinful and which are not. He calls us to "cast all your cares on Him, for He cares for you." (I Peter 5:7) The Lord Jesus sympathizes with our weaknesses and intercedes for us (Hebrews 4:15-16).
       As believers, we have the Holy Spirit to comfort us. In the midst of rejection, it is difficult to find, or even to desire to find, reasons to thank the Lord. However, that is something we are commanded to do, "Rejoice always . . . in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." (I Thessalonians 5:16, 18) If you can think of nothing else to be grateful for, thank God for His mercy and grace! Thank Him for the time you did have with the person who rejected you, and for the things He taught you through that person.
       On a practical note, something that can help with keeping your mind off of your unhealthy thoughts and emotions is to serve others. Remember that there are others who are still in your life and that they need your love just as much as the last person did. Spend time with other people, and look for ways to demonstrate the love of Christ.
       It can be hard to get up and live, but we are not called to dwell on our misfortunes, as tempting as that can be. We are called to live entirely for the Lord and to dwell on the Word and the will of God (Romans 12:1-2).
       Feelings of rejection are natural, but when they come, I would encourage you to run to the Lord! Cry out to Him and cast your cares on Him. Remind yourself of His love and His promises (the Psalms, Colossians and I John are wonderful places to start), and then go out and serve Him!


[1] All Scripture references are taken from the New King James Version.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken Salad Recipe

       For awhile now, I have considered sharing some of my recipes on my blog. I really enjoy cooking (and sometimes baking) without a recipe, and come up with some fancy dishes at times. I usually keep my recipes top-secret, and hardly ever even let my family in on all the ingredients I use. But I thought that some of my readers might enjoy trying my favorite recipes, so here you go! Top-secret (or, not so top-secret) recipe #1: Chicken salad.  *Disclaimer: the lighting in my kitchen is not at all wonderful, so the pictures are not going to be the most professional you have ever seen.        Start with 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast. (Any boneless chicken will do, but chicken breast meat is my personal favorite).  Cut the chicken up into 1-2" pieces, transfer it to a frying pan, and put the frying pan on the stove. Turn the heat to medium-high. Drizzle 1 Ts. olive oil over the chicken; add 1/4 tsp. each of thyme, rosemary and ginger, and one bay leaf. Saut

Discipleship - What is it?

       Discipleship is something that has been stressed a lot in my life during the past year or so. During my senior year in Bible School, I was an RA, and I was leading a one-on-one Bible Study on I John for counseling class. The responsibility of those two things, coupled with the enthusiasm my counseling teacher had for discipleship, instilled in me a passion for discipling others, and a desire to become a more fervent disciple of Christ.        Close to a year ago, I began a short study on my own to learn more about discipleship. I wanted to find the answer to the questions, "What is discipleship?"; "How did Jesus disciple others while He was on Earth?"; "What is required to disciple others?"; "How can we learn discipleship?"; and, "What methods can be used in discipling others?"        I plan to do a short blog series on discipleship, hopefully giving answers to these questions and giving my readers a desire to learn more about

Autumn Questionnaire

       Autumn is my absolute favorite time of year. I love the colors of the leaves, the rain showers, the crisp air that is perfect for walks and that prepares you for snow, the fall fashion, curling up in a blanket with a book and a hot drink, the days ending earlier, and almost everything else that comes with autumn! Though I don't care much for stink bugs or for the plethora of spiders in the house, I have to admit.         It is a lot of fun to find little ways to celebrate your favorite things, and one of the ways I like to celebrate is to find out what other people like about my favorite things! Therefore, I decided to write up a brief autumn-themed questionnaire. Questionnaires can be good ways to get to know people better, or to just sit down to take a break from the busy-ness of life and have some fun! You are welcome to print off this questionnaire for fall festivals, for something to do with your family and friends, or for whatever other reason you may have! I will be