Skip to main content

Discipleship - Learning and Practicing

        In this conclusion to my brief series on discipleship, I will be combining two questions that are very closely related: "How can we learn how to disciple others?" and "What are some discipleship methods?" At first glance these two questions could be answered in the same ways, but they are different enough that they should be answered separately.
       First of all, how can we learn? Since Matthew 28:19 simply commands to "go and make disciples", discipling should be something that's automatic and comes naturally, right? No, not really. Think of the Apollos, who was very fervent about the Scriptures and the way of the Lord, but he did not fully understand the Gospel. Aquila and Priscilla took him aside to explain "the way of God" more accurately so that he could disciple others and teach the Word of God accurately to others. Though some new believers jump right into evangelism and discipleship, it is vital that they understand the Word of God, as well as how to teach the Word to others. The example of Apollos is more about doctrine than about practice, but it does give one answer to the question "how can we learn?": Apollos learned how to disciple by being discipled himself.
       Another way that we can learn how to disciple others is connected to things I have said previously in this series: we can learn through studying the Word of God on our own. There are many commands and principles found in God's Word that will apply to ourselves and to those whom we are discipling. It is necessary to know the Scriptures to be able to find those truths when they are needed, as well as to know which principles are directly applicable (ex. "you shall not commit adultery" for someone who is struggling with sexual sin) to the situation. God's Word is "living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword" (Hebrews 4:12a[1]), and is used by God through the working of His Spirit to convict, comfort and teach us, and to give us understanding of His attributes and work. By knowing and understanding the Scriptures through personal study, we may learn how to disciple others.
       We could also learn through taking actual counseling or discipleship classes. However, though formal classes can be helpful, the most important thing is that these classes immerse the students in the Word. Once the discipler has understanding of how to study the Bible, and where to find verses  necessary for discipling, formal classes may not be as necessary or helpful.
       What are the methods we should use to disciple others? The New Testament gives examples of many discipleship* methods, including a couple of the most obvious ones: teaching and preaching. Not all are called to these two ministries, however, and preaching is specfically the role of men (Ephesians 4:11-12; I Timothy 2:12). Another very prominent method is demonstrated by the Apostle Paul, John and others "discipling" many through writing letters to churches and to individuals. As was mentioned in a previous post, Jesus taught His disciples through word and action on a daily basis, as He lived and ate and traveled with them for three years. These are just a few methods mentioned in Scripture.
       One important thing to be careful of is that it is the role of men to disciple men; women are not to have spiritual authority over men: "And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence." (I Timothy 2:12) There are some instances when men have the authority to disciple women, but if it is outside of the marriage context, it can become very spiritually and emotionally dangerous - for the discipler and the disciple - even if precautions are taken. Paul taught Timothy, "Do not rebuke an older man, but exhort him as a father, younger men as brothers, older women as mothers, younger women as sisters, with all purity." (I Timothy 5:1-2, emphasis mine.)
      Titus 2 teaches that older women are to "be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things-- that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed." (Titus 2:3-5) This is one example of the role women have in discipleship: older women teaching younger women by word and example, and the younger women teach their own children.
       No matter what method we use, the most important things about discipleship are to be intentional about it - discipleship is a command, not an option! - and to handle the Word of God carefully as you use it, so that the disciple will not be confused and become caught up in false doctrine. Paul instructed Timothy to "[b]e diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." (II Timothy 2:15) The command to make disciples of all nations starts right where we are, in our homes (I Timothy 3; Titus 2), and spreads into the rest of our relationships. Are we being intentional about encouraging and teaching others in the Word?


*When I use the word "discipleship" here, I am referring to discipling professed believers, in contrast to evangelizing.

[1] All Scripture references are taken from the New King James Version.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken Salad Recipe

       For awhile now, I have considered sharing some of my recipes on my blog. I really enjoy cooking (and sometimes baking) without a recipe, and come up with some fancy dishes at times. I usually keep my recipes top-secret, and hardly ever even let my family in on all the ingredients I use. But I thought that some of my readers might enjoy trying my favorite recipes, so here you go! Top-secret (or, not so top-secret) recipe #1: Chicken salad.  *Disclaimer: the lighting in my kitchen is not at all wonderful, so the pictures are not going to be the most professional you have ever seen.        Start with 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast. (Any boneless chicken will do, but chicken breast meat is my personal favorite).  Cut the chicken up into 1-2" pieces, transfer it to a frying pan, and put the frying pan on the stove. Turn the heat to medium-high. Drizzle 1 Ts. olive oil over the chicken; add 1/4 tsp. each of thyme, rosemary and ginger, and one bay leaf. Saut

Autumn Questionnaire

       Autumn is my absolute favorite time of year. I love the colors of the leaves, the rain showers, the crisp air that is perfect for walks and that prepares you for snow, the fall fashion, curling up in a blanket with a book and a hot drink, the days ending earlier, and almost everything else that comes with autumn! Though I don't care much for stink bugs or for the plethora of spiders in the house, I have to admit.         It is a lot of fun to find little ways to celebrate your favorite things, and one of the ways I like to celebrate is to find out what other people like about my favorite things! Therefore, I decided to write up a brief autumn-themed questionnaire. Questionnaires can be good ways to get to know people better, or to just sit down to take a break from the busy-ness of life and have some fun! You are welcome to print off this questionnaire for fall festivals, for something to do with your family and friends, or for whatever other reason you may have! I will be

Discipleship - What is it?

       Discipleship is something that has been stressed a lot in my life during the past year or so. During my senior year in Bible School, I was an RA, and I was leading a one-on-one Bible Study on I John for counseling class. The responsibility of those two things, coupled with the enthusiasm my counseling teacher had for discipleship, instilled in me a passion for discipling others, and a desire to become a more fervent disciple of Christ.        Close to a year ago, I began a short study on my own to learn more about discipleship. I wanted to find the answer to the questions, "What is discipleship?"; "How did Jesus disciple others while He was on Earth?"; "What is required to disciple others?"; "How can we learn discipleship?"; and, "What methods can be used in discipling others?"        I plan to do a short blog series on discipleship, hopefully giving answers to these questions and giving my readers a desire to learn more about