Skip to main content

Hearts of Thankfulness

        "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ Jesus with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places" (Eph. 1:3); "Giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ." (Eph. 5:20) [both ESV]
        With Thanksgiving only a week away, I am following the example of many others who have been sharing what they are thankful for. There are so many blessings that I could name, but here are some that come to mind first and foremost.
        I am thankful for the love of God which surpasses understanding, and for His grace and mercy that are sufficient to forgive even me! It overwhelms me to remember that He continues to bless me even beyond the greatest gift He could give me, salvation.
        I am thankful for a wonderful family; for parents and older siblings who have taught me about the Lord by word and example. I am thankful for a father who has always worked hard to provide for his family, and for a mother who has dedicated her life to her husband and children. I am thankful for the fact that each of my siblings love God and are living to serve and honor Him.
        I am thankful for children; for my nephews and nieces, and for every other child who simultaneously humbles me and makes me happier without even trying to.
        I am thankful for the friends I have made throughout my life. I am thankful for the friends I made at college, who have encouraged me, and who have each opened my eyes to things I would not have seen on my own.
        I am thankful for the teachers I have had who have taught me so many valuable things about God, His Word, and living for Him in an ungodly world.
        I am thankful for those friends who have become as close as siblings to me; for their patience and love, for their loyalty, for the many fun times we've had, and for the conversations we have had about all kinds of things.
        I am thankful for little acts of kindness done by family and friends when they can see that I am overwhelmed or sad. Hugs from people I love, coffee, walks or drives, movies, ice cream and having a small task already done for me are all things that warm my heart.
        I am thankful that I have a job that allows me to be creative, to have a balance between being alone and being with people, and that gives me the necessity to learn more history.
        I am thankful for music, which often expresses my thoughts in ways that I never could, and which can alter my mood almost instantaneously. I am thankful for movies, which help me get lost in imaginary worlds and which can inspire me in unexpected ways.
        I am thankful for sunrises and sunsets, and for the various beauty that comes with the changing seasons; for flowers and green grass, for ocean waves crashing against the shore, for colorful leaves falling in the rain, and for snow falling from pink skies.
        I am thankful for everyone who has encouraged me in my endeavors; in baking and cooking, in music and dancing, in art, writing and sewing, and so many other things that I have pursued during my lifetime!
        I am thankful that I live in this century, because though I wish some things could be how they were seventy years ago, there are so many people and things that I would have missed out on if I had grown up all those years ago!
        And finally, I am thankful that I live in a country that is still free to a great extent, and where Christians can worship the Lord without fear. I am thankful that I have never truly known hunger, danger or prolonged suffering.
        Happy Thanksgiving to you all! I hope that this will encourage you to consider all of the blessings that the Lord has given you. Each of us can remember, as Bing Crosby sang in "Holiday Inn", "I've got plenty to be thankful for!" Let us not skip over Thanksgiving in the excitement of Christmas coming soon afterward!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken Salad Recipe

       For awhile now, I have considered sharing some of my recipes on my blog. I really enjoy cooking (and sometimes baking) without a recipe, and come up with some fancy dishes at times. I usually keep my recipes top-secret, and hardly ever even let my family in on all the ingredients I use. But I thought that some of my readers might enjoy trying my favorite recipes, so here you go! Top-secret (or, not so top-secret) recipe #1: Chicken salad.  *Disclaimer: the lighting in my kitchen is not at all wonderful, so the pictures are not going to be the most professional you have ever seen.        Start with 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast. (Any boneless chicken will do, but chicken breast meat is my personal favorite).  Cut the chicken up into 1-2" pieces, transfer it to a frying pan, and put the frying pan on the stove. Turn the heat to medium-high. Drizzle 1 Ts. olive oil over the chicken; add 1/4 tsp. each of thyme, rosemary and ginger, and one bay leaf. Saut

Autumn Questionnaire

       Autumn is my absolute favorite time of year. I love the colors of the leaves, the rain showers, the crisp air that is perfect for walks and that prepares you for snow, the fall fashion, curling up in a blanket with a book and a hot drink, the days ending earlier, and almost everything else that comes with autumn! Though I don't care much for stink bugs or for the plethora of spiders in the house, I have to admit.         It is a lot of fun to find little ways to celebrate your favorite things, and one of the ways I like to celebrate is to find out what other people like about my favorite things! Therefore, I decided to write up a brief autumn-themed questionnaire. Questionnaires can be good ways to get to know people better, or to just sit down to take a break from the busy-ness of life and have some fun! You are welcome to print off this questionnaire for fall festivals, for something to do with your family and friends, or for whatever other reason you may have! I will be

Discipleship - What is it?

       Discipleship is something that has been stressed a lot in my life during the past year or so. During my senior year in Bible School, I was an RA, and I was leading a one-on-one Bible Study on I John for counseling class. The responsibility of those two things, coupled with the enthusiasm my counseling teacher had for discipleship, instilled in me a passion for discipling others, and a desire to become a more fervent disciple of Christ.        Close to a year ago, I began a short study on my own to learn more about discipleship. I wanted to find the answer to the questions, "What is discipleship?"; "How did Jesus disciple others while He was on Earth?"; "What is required to disciple others?"; "How can we learn discipleship?"; and, "What methods can be used in discipling others?"        I plan to do a short blog series on discipleship, hopefully giving answers to these questions and giving my readers a desire to learn more about